- Berry Delicious
- Kids love it!
1 cup (125g) unbleached all purpose white flour
1 teaspoon (tsp) (4.6g) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1.5g) salt
zest of 1/2 lemon
2 eggs (100g)
1/4 cup (50g) plus 2 T (25g) granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons (T) (28g) unsalted butter (or soy margarine), melted
2 T (30ml) reduced fat milk (or soymilk)
6 1/2 cups (962g) blueberries
1/3 cup (73g) brown sugar, packed
1-2 Tablespoons (T) (12.5-25g) granulated sugar (optional)*
1 T (15ml) lemon juice
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup (79ml) orange juice
1/2 tsp (1.3g) ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) vanilla extract
American Flag toothpick
Putting it all together
Preheat oven to 350° F (177° C)
Prepare a 7x11 (2L) baking dish with a light non-stick spray or thin coating of butter, set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside
- Rinse the fruit, drain in colander and pick off any stems
- In a large bowl toss fruit with the brown sugar (reserve the 1-2 Tablespoons granulated sugar), juice, zest, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. While the fruit is cooking, make the cobbler batter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar, add the butter and milk - mix well to combine; then add the flour mixture, mixing just to combine.
- Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, place scoops of batter over the hot fruit leaving spaces for some fruit to show
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Cool on a cake rack
- Add a flag to decorate for Memorial Day or Fourth of July
- Delicious served with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt or low-fat ice cream
1 cup raw blueberries: Total Fat: 0.49g (0.7%DV), Sodium 1mg (0%DV), total dietary Fiber: 4g (14%DV), total Sugars 15g, Vitamin C: 14mg (24%DV), Vitamin K: 29mcg (36%DV), Manganese 0.50mg (25%DV)
Percent Daily Value (%DV) is based on a 2000 calorie diet
Fruits and Veggies, More Matters
History of Memorial Day
Jersey Blues by Diana Wind
Copyright © 2010 Wind. All rights reserved.