with Roasted Red Peppers
Never having offered this special, my supervisor had me start with preparing 3 cases of portabella mushrooms. They sold quickly - we had to prepare another 3 cases. Everything had to be remade, not just once, but three times! I quickly mixed together another batch of low fat garden pesto spread and roasted another batch of red bell peppers. Some of the PortaniniTM success was attributed to the fact that it was a meatless Friday for people observing Lent.
Recipe and Development
Eating the recommended daily amount of vegetables is easy with a PortaniniTM. MyPyramid recommends adults consume 2 1/2 - 3 servings of vegetables a day. This panini packs in 2 servings of sliced portabella mushrooms, and 1 serving of dark green spinach.
Prepare the next 5 steps and then you will be ready to make your Panini sandwiches
- Rinse mushrooms under water and rub tops with hands to clean off surface microorganisms. Slice each mushroom into 4-5 slices and place in a large bowl or pan. Drizzle olive oil and San-J dressing over mushrooms and gently toss to coat; set aside
- Unthaw spinach and squeeze out excess liquid. Hand mix together the spinach and shredded cheese; set aside
- Combine the mayo and garden basil pesto with seasoning and set aside
- Roast red peppers, slice (skin on) into 1/4" strips and set aside
- Grill or sauté the mushrooms over medium heat until tender. Remove to a holding pan.
- Spread the basil mayo on each slice of bread.
- Arrange 4-5 cooked mushroom slices on one slice of bread.
- Top with 2 ounces of cheese/spinach blend.
- Top with 4 slices of roasted red peppers.
- Grill using a Panini press or on a flat top griddle or cast iron skillet until heated through.
Special Thanks to Janelle, Holly, Victor, Tammie, Art, Joel, Linda and everyone who helped me at SJH!
for Vitamin D: Read product labels - try Dole portabella mushrooms with vitamin D. Vitamin D is added the same way that milk gets fortified - by UV light.
Blog Article and photos Copyright © 2011 D.Wind. All rights reserved. 'Eat Right with Color' is a slogan for the American Dietetic Association's National Nutrition Month®