And, although this is not a gluten-free cake, Mesquite flour is gluten free and can be used in gluten-free recipes. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup 100% mesquite flour. Mesquite is a specialty flour with limited availability. I mail order it online from Casa deFruta. You can substitute regular all purpose flour for mesquite flour in this recipe, but I recommend you give mesquite flour a try. Mesquite flour gives baked goods added nutrition and appealing gingerbread color.
Yields 1 Apple Cake
1 1/4 cup (250g) sugar
2 teaspoons (4g) ground cinnamon
4 large apples: 5 cups (~864g), peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup (118ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup natural unsweetened apple sauce
2 large eggs (100g)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup mesquite flour (if you don't have it, can use all purpose)
1/4 teaspoon (1.5g) salt
1 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Lightly spray and flour one round spring-form cake or bundt pan with hole in center
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside
- Peel, core and chop apples to equal about 5 cups. Toss the chopped apples in a large bowl with the cinnamon sugar and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- In another bowl, sift together flours, salt and baking soda
- Slowly add flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined and makes a thick batter
- Fold in the apples using a plastic spatula. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Let cake cool on a wire rack. Once cake is cool, remove from pan and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar.
GardenCuizine Nutrition Data: Calculated using USDA Nutrition Data
Good Source: Selenium
Serving size 1/16th of recipe (109g): calories 224, total fat 8g, saturated fat 1g, Omega-3 635mg, cholesterol 26mg, sodium 125mg (5%DV), carbohydrate 38g, dietary fiber 2g (8%DV), protein 3g, Vitamin C 3.9mg (7%DV), Vitamin E 1.3mg (7%DV), Vitamin K 5.4 mcg (7%DV), Thiamin .1mg (9%DV), Riboflavin .1mg (8%DV), Folate 32mcg (8%DV), Iron 1mg (6%DV), Manganese .2mg (9%DV), Selenium 7.4mcg (11%DV)
Related Links: Velvet mesquite Prosopis velutina
Photos and Recipe Copyright ©2011 Wind. All rights reserved.