serve with a glass of milk for even more calcium
The cookie lovers in my life give these amazing chocolate chip cookies two thumbs up! The recipe was inspired from a recipe that my gardening and baking friend, Johanna, gave me. She got the recipe online, called the $250 Neiman Marcus Cookies, based on an urban legand.
This RD revised recipe is worth the effort. I guarantee you will save it as a winner among your favorite cookie recipes collection.
Cookie Jar Favorite
This recipe makes plenty to refill your cookie jars and will fill the bowl of your mixer to the brim.
The dough freezes well too. Form the dough into several one-inch thick discs, wrap in clear wrap, label, date - put in zip-lock freezer baggies and freeze until ready to thaw and bake off.
Thaw frozen cookie dough in the refrigerator a day before using. If the dough seems dry and too crumbly to mold, simply moisten hands with water when rolling into balls and flattening out cookies on the sheet pans. Trust me, they will taste and turn out just fine.
about 5 discs of dough (~2370g total); each disc yields approximately 21, 2 1/2-inch cookies
4 cups rolled oats ground in a food processor to powder
2 1/2 cups (345g) unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup (128g) white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (42g) instant nonfat dry milk fortified with vitamins A and D
1.5 teaspoons (8g) baking soda
2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder
1.75 oz (50g) dark chocolate bar grated
1 cup (208g) sugar
2 cups (334g) brown sugar, lightly packed
2 cups butter, unsalted
4 eggs (I prefer cage-free omega 3 enhanced, or local eggs)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
11.5 ounces (326g) 60% bittersweet chocolate chips (whole bag Ghiradelli or other premium quality baking chips)
2 cups (200g) chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts) - optional
Line a cookie baking sheet with foil and roast nuts in 350 oven until lightly roasted; set aside to cool. When cool, break up nuts using clean hands. Save and use the same cookie sheet for baking cookies.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (except salt), stir in the grated chocolate
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip the butter and add in the sugar
- In a small bowl, crack and add the eggs, add vanilla
- Add the egg/vanilla mixture and salt to the butter and mix well
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients, slowly pulsing since the volume is so large
- Add in the chocolate chips and nuts last
To bake: pick off dough and roll into golf ball size portions and flatten with palm of hand on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 350 degrees 10-12 minutes; do not over bake!
- Ideal for Birthday, Valentine's Day, Graduation parties or any special occasion.
- The cookies can also be broken in half and inserted into the mouth of Cookie Monster Cupcakes!
Cookie clip art © Bobbie Jean Peachey
Walnut Nutrition Information
Percent Daily Values (%DV) are reference values based on eating 2,000 calories for adults and children age 4 or older. Your daily values may be higher or lower based on your individual needs.
Blog Post and Photos Copyright © 2012 Wind. All Rights Reserved.