Red cranberries and green pistachios are the stars of these Christmas cookie jar favorites. I first saw this holiday combination dipped in white chocolate in Bon Appetit in 2003. Since then I've seen several variations online that seem to have dropped the anise seeds. I dropped the white chocolate instead. This is my take on a great holiday cookie with fruit and nuts that we always find time to make during the holidays. Enjoy!
Yields: approximately 6 dozen
1 pkg Craisins (or dried cherries)
3/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons whole anise seeds
4 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 large eggs (1 for egg wash)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
lemon zest from 2 lemons
1 1/4 cups shelled raw pistachios
Putting it all together
prepare 2 cookie sheets with foil or parchment; no need to spray
preheat oven to 350 deg. F
- Roast pistachios on a baking sheet; set aside to cool.
- Place orange juice, anise seeds and Craisins in medium pot and heat to boiling. Turn off heat and let sit until cool. After cool, allow to strain in colander.
- Meanwhile, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light.
- Crack 4 eggs into measuring cup; add vanilla.
- Add 4 eggs to butter/sugar mixture one at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Slowly mix in flour mixture and lemon zest until just combined.
- Fold in nuts and dried cranberries.
- Divide dough and press and form into 4 logs directly on cookie sheets. Tip: wet hands under water and shake off excess to help prevent dough from sticking.
- Whisk remaining egg with a splash of water for egg wash. Brush logs with egg wash and bake until golden. remove from oven and cool on counter 20 minutes before peeling off foil from bottom. Move cookies to a cutting board and slice on an angle into 1/2 inch slices.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 deg. F. Position sliced biscotti back on cookie sheets and bake again on each side for 10 minutes or until desired dryness.
- Cool completely before storing in airtight containers.
Pistachios, small nut - Mighty Nutrition
Diana's Anise Biscotti
Recipe and photo Copyright (C)2013 Wind. All rights reserved.
Craisins are a registered trademark of Ocean Spray.