2-3 cups chopped Broccoli: reserve 5-7 small florets
4 cups low fat milk
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
pinch thyme (dried or fresh)
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese and sea salt to taste
- OR 3 tablespoons* instant broccoli cheddar cheese soup mix
You decide if you want to add soup mix or not. Instant soup mixes often contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oils such as palm kernel and cottonseed oils, as well as flavor enhancers (disodium guanylate), corn syrup solids and artificial colors.
Putting it all together
- Saute onion in oil/butter blend.
- Add garlic and saute until the onion is transparent.
- Stir in the thyme, chopped broccoli and potato.
- Pour in the milk. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer until the veggies are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse the soup to a puree texture directly in the soup pot.
- Stir in the reserved broccoli florets and cheese (or soup mix). Cover and simmer until florets are tender.
- Serve and enjoy with toasted whole grain bread.