Today, I planted a few flats of annual veggies, herb and flower seeds a week earlier than I usually do (St. Patty's Day) thanks to the warming trend with our NJ weather. As you can see in my list below, there are a lot of heirlooms!
Heirloom veggies provide fantastic flavor and best of all you can collect the seeds and grow your favorites year after year.
Seeds I started under grow lights 3/14/16: (as they germinate, I will edit and add the number of days to germination)
- Capers (just for the fun of it - a memory from a special Cape Cod visit)
- Cayenne peppers, long slim (17 days)
- Purple Majesty Millet (hopefully the cats don't eat all the seedlings! (7 days; most are not germinating as of 3/31/16... maybe the seeds were too old... will have to look at the date)
- Leslie's French Mini heirloom Tomatoes (8 days)
- Pistou Basil (Cooks Garden) (9 days?)
- Chocolate Nicotiana (6 days)
- Red Rubin Basil
- American Flag heirloom Leeks (never grew leeks before) (8 days)
- large Yellow Heirloom tomatoes (6 days)
- Fish Peppers (decorative Chesapeake Bay heirloom)
- Chocolate Cherry heirloom tomatoes (6 days)
- Critter's Black Pearl ornamental peppers
- Lady in Red Salvia*(1st to germinate 4 days!)
- Hot Thai peppers (for spice jar; dried) (13 days)
- Coral Nymph Salvia*(5 days)
- Amsterdam Seasoning Celery (17 days)
- Italian Parsley (17 days)
- Black Krim Tomatoes (juicy large heirloom from Russia) (9 days)
- Large Italian Basil (Meadowbrook Farm seeds; 5 days)
- Large red cherry tomatoes (5 days)
- Coronado Hyssop* (6 days)
- Goldman's heirloom Tomatoes (pasta sauce; 7 days)
- Hungarian Wax Peppers (Parks; 15 days)
- Forest Fire Salvia coccinea* (7 days)
- test trial of our own LFT - Last Forever Cherry Tomatoes (no lie, these 1/2-inch red Jersey heirlooms strangely last forever without refrigeration from end of summer harvest into the New Year!! And, maintain juiciness and flavor)
- Cherokee Purple heirloom tomatoes (9 days)
Happy National Nutrition Month and Happy Gardening!
Heirlooms vs Hybrids
Blog post Copyright (C)Wind. All rights reserved.
NNM logo used with permission.